Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I TALK because I want to LEARN

Ryan is TALKATIVE and when I said talkative, I meant really talk and talk and talk and talk and talk.......

There are times when he can really get to your nerves when he kept on repeatedly asking the same question again and again, especially when you are tired and needed to focus on getting something done.


He talked and asked questions for an entire 25 minutes this morning in the car, while on the way to attend his summer camp. And it all started the moment we came out from the car park with him saying "Zoewe (our toy poodle) is small but FAT" after he heard me telling the driver to pick us up tomorrow to sent Zoewe for her grooming since her birthday is coming up on Saturday.

And that one statement turned into a conversation on why Zoewe is not big, what is a poodle, why is a poodle not big, is a cat big, what about a tiger, how about a dinosaur, how about T-Rex, how will a T-Rex fight, can a T-Rex bite, can a T-Rex step on it's enemies, what about that dinosaur with a big head and horn, why is it called a triceratops, where is the third horn, is a bird big, can a big bird catch me with it's claws, why cannot, what is a big bird, why is eagle is big bird, what other bird is big, can a vulture catch me and it goes on and on and on ....

By the time, he arrived at his school, I said "You talked non stop" and he replied "Yes. I talked no stop from house to school." proudly.

What he said following that struck me.

"I talked non stop and ask because I want to know ma. I want to know because I want to learn ma. That is why I talk non stop lo!"

Now, how can you beat that? What he said is absolutely true. On one hand, I want to encourage him to learn. The only way to really learn is to be curious about things in his life. Curiosity will lead to questions and more questions for the truth. And yet, here I am, often times telling him to keep quiet because he `talks' too much.

I am led again to be reminded by what Jeff (his class teacher) said "Do not curb their curiosity. Instead nurture it because it is their nature."

So, my dear son. I am sorry if I ever tell you to talk less. Keep talking and asking and keeps on learning as long as you live. Remember this when you grow up that ASKING is a GREAT WAY TO LEARNING! (But do give me a break every now and then will you...at least to catch my breath and think of the answers.....)

1 comment:

  1. My girl, now at 11 is still talking just as much as she did when she was your boy's age. I'm still waiting for her to give me a break. Haha.

    ReplyDelete