Thursday, July 4, 2013

Who Made Me

The 20 minutes ride to the Summer Camp the last couple of days have turned out to be a rather interesting daddy and son's discussion and conversation bonding. As usual, he will not stop asking questions and talked from the moment he got into the car and will only stop when he got down from the car.

That 20 minutes or so can be rather long when the questions from an inquisitive and curious 5 year old mind comes fast and furious, sometimes too fast and too furious. Topics discussed can be so diverse and wide and a walking encyclopedia could have problem responding appropriately, especially to a five year old.

This morning conversation somehow started with Ryan telling me that he can feel his bone and asked me if I could feel the same. "Of course!" I said.

"Why? Why can you feel your bone? Is it very near to the skin?" he continued.

"Yes" I replied.

"What about blood? Is it very near to the skin too?" his relentless questioning continued.

"Yes. Blood is near to the skin too." I replied. "Blood is all over your body." I replied smartly.

"Why? Why is blood all over the body?" his questioning intensified. 

"Because blood will bring oxygen to every part of your body, your brain, your heart, your hands, your feet ..."

"What is oxygen?" he asked.

"It's the air you breathe in." I replied.

"But why? Why do blood need to bring air to other parts of the body?" he asked.

Baffled and searching my CPU for an appropriate answer, I took a short cut which ultimately led to my doom, so to speak. "Because we are made that way." I replied, thinking that that would help me get out from having to scientifically explained the complex workings of the human body and organs in the most simplistic manner that a five year old would understand. 

He paused for awhile and I thought that that was it. However, little did I realised that the next question is EVEN TOUGHER to answer.


"Daddy. Who made me?" he asked.

I have just dug a deeper hole. How do I explain to a five year old that mommy and daddy made him in a manner that would not lead to more embarrassing questions, which a five year old might not truly or totally comprehend. Isn't sex education a little too early for him at this age? My mind was racing for an answer. The best answer that I could give would be "Daddy and mommy made you" which is true but then again, I can already anticipate the next question from him which would likely be "How daddy and mommy made me?" How do I explain that?


Being smart as I am, or so I thought I was, I took another simple way out, without considering the consequences. 

"GOD made you." I replied and immediately I knew I was in trouble.

"Who is GOD? Where is GOD? Daddy...who is GOD? How did GOD make me?" the barrage of questions kept on coming.

My CPU was now overloaded and at the brink of a crash as I tried to figure out how on earth am I going to get myself out from the bottomless pit that I have just dug.

And then, I was saved by a miracle. That very moment, the car pull up to the school and we have ARRIVED! Phew!

"OK. Time to go. Quick! Quick or we will be late!" I shooed him down.

So, how would you answer his "Who Made Me?" question?

My dear son, in due time, you would know and when the time is right, you would understand the complexity and the beauty of human creation. Yes, daddy and mommy did made you (and you will find out how by then) but GOD did most of the work and you, like all other children of all races, cultures, social status and skin colors are wonderful and amazing miracles and gifts from HIM, unique in every way.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha. Consider yourself lucky if he has forgotten the question when he gets back from school. Sometimes they remember days later....

    ReplyDelete